I had a whole lotta scrap wood piled up in my barn, on the lanai, in the garage, and laying out in the yard. Pretty messy. Some of it is good 2xN cutoffs from when the barn or fence was built. Other bits are older 2×4 and plywood from things that I took apart when I moved in. Anyway it was contributing to the overall clutter and I need to reduce the clutter – but not get rid of things that are/maybe useful.
I remembered my Dad’s workshop had a great scrap wood box that rolled away under one of the workbenches. I decided to build something similar. Father’s day is coming up, so this project is in his honor. My son Brian helped, so its a multi-generational tribute.
Rather than buy more wood, I decided to use the scrap to build the box to hold the rest of the scrap. That decision did impact the box size and construction. If I was building from new materials, I’d probably use 2x4s but I had a bunch of 2×8 chunks so those got used. The plywood I had was 1/4″ sheeting in 3×3 and 2×4′ chunks. It had been sitting outside, getting dirty, a bit rotted but still quite serviceable.
I pulled out the plywood, 2x6s, an old 2×4 and some corner chunks and tossed them up on the front walk way. The walk is covered so we could be out of the intermittent Haiku rain.
I pulled out my Festool MFT3 worktable and Plunge Cutter for this project. Yeah its overkill using expensive tools for a hack job, but hey if ya got em, use em! Besides I need experience using the MFT, saw guides, clamps etc. Today I learned you REALLY need to re-check the saw cut depth each time. After cutting some of the 2x6s I switched back to cutting plywood – and left the cut depth the same. Yikes! the blade cut a nice deep groove into the top and part of the aluminum edge pieces. Ugh.
Here are the base pieces laid out on the plywood bottom. Since the 2×6′s cover so much I figure I dont need the center support I was considering.
Since all I had were deck screws, I figured these corner braces were the easiest way to hold the bottom together – and they were already laying round as scrap. The hex head screws in this pic were replaced with regular deck screws, once I found the correct box. We learned an important lesson while attaching these triangles – hold the pieces securely. Brian started off the first one without holding it down (or having me hold it. Once it got thru the plywood and started biting into the 2×6, it spun viciously around and whacked him hard in the ankle. I sent him to sit out the next rounds with a cold pack.
I’ll spare you all the build sequence pics (i stopped taking pics for a while). Attaching the sides was a learning experience. I might have built a frame for each side and screwed the plywood to it, but that would have taken more work. I cut four 2′ lengths from a scrap 2×4 for vertical supports. I toenailed the first one into place, and screwed the side sheet to it. Then I repeated this on the other corner of that sheet. Then I attached one of end sheets to the 2×6 upright, giving a bit of stability to the side. I attached the 3rd upright on that end, then back to the other end sheet & last upright. Last was the other long side sheet.
Once all the sides were firmly attached, I flipped it over and screwed four metal casters to the bottom. No they are not precisely positioned. It was getting late, I was tired and it is just a scrap box.
Once the casters were in place, we flipped it right side up and started cleaning up the leftover scraps by tossing them into the completed scrap box. Yeah!
Next we move it out the barn and collect all the small scrap pieces into it. I’ve still got a bunch of larger 2x6s, 2x4s lying around but they will have to find a different place. Perhaps we will take some down to the Maui Maker container to build another scrap bin – and workbenches.
Tomorrow we will start on the workbenches for the space. I’d like some of them to be real sturdy so we can do some metal bending. I took a great TinManTech workshop in May 2010, learning metal forming and aluminum welding. I liked the workbenches Kent White had at his shop. See the pics in my Workbench Flickr set and the full set of pics from the workshop.
There are also some nice benches in “Make Mag #23 “Wilderness Workshop” by C. Platt. I like the use of tubs to store tools. This would be good for our Pu’unene space as we have a big dirt issue. The split tables he has in the center are also interesting. We could make 4 similar tables, splitting his two in 1/2 each. This would make it possible to have a way to support large 4×8 and larger sheet work, and still get the benches into our container.